Parents and guardians,
When it comes to homework, sometimes we can all find ourselves frustrated and exhausted. In order to minimize these types of feelings, I am including a homework policy not only for your student, but for you. I understand difficulties when it comes to homework, so please contact me with any questions or concerns you may have. I am looking forward to working with you to ensure your student is successful!
For your child to be successful with homework, he/she needs:
- A place to do homework. If possible, your child should do his homework in the same place (an uncluttered, quiet space to study).
- A schedule for completing homework. Set a homework schedule that fits in with each week’s particular activities. (Easier said than done sometimes!)
- Encouragement, motivation, and prompting. It is not a good idea to sit with your child and do homework with him. Your child needs to practice independently and to apply what s/he has learned in class. If your child consistently cannot complete homework assignments alone, please contact me.
- Understanding of the knowledge. When your child is practicing a skill, ask which steps s/he finds difficult and easy and how he plans to improve speed and accuracy with the skill (i.e. reading a novel). If your child is working on a project, ask what knowledge s/he is using to complete the work. If your child consistently cannot answer these questions, please contact me.
- Reasonable time expectations. If your child seems to be spending too much time on homework each night, please contact me.
Regular English Late Work Policy: Students will lose 10 points per day when an assignment is turned in late. After 2 days, the highest grade a student can attain on the assignment will be a 70.
Advanced English Late Work Policy: Late work is not accepted. Students will receive one coupon per six weeks for a late assignment. If the student does not use the coupon, it can be submitted for 2 points added to average. Any extenuating circumstances MUST be discussed with me BEFORE the due date.
We are going to have a great year!! I look forward to meeting you.
Amber Jones/ English 1